Friday, February 4, 2011

Terry McMillan attacks Will & Jada's kids ~ on Twitter

All I can say is WOW!  I personally like Will & Jada's kids and while I don't necessarily agree with some of the things they said about raising them on Oprah, it would not be my place to attack them.  After all they are just kids!  Thinking Terri may just be looking for some attention.


Terry McMillan Needs to Slow Her Roll When Attacking Will Smith's Kids

I was surprised to see the esteemed author Terry McMillan slip to an all-time low by attacking the children of Hollywood power couple Will and Jada Smith. Using Twitter as her forum of choice, McMillan expressed her concern that the Smith kids were being "exploited" by their parents in their acting and singing careers. "It feels like the Smith children are being pimped and exploited. Or, they're already hungry for fame. What about 4th grade?" wrote McMillan

She then went on to write the following:

"The Smith children already act like child stars. There's an arrogance in their demeanor and behavior. I find it incredibly sad."

Of course the entire world spread McMillan's words quicker than wildfire. That then led to an apology from McMillan:

"I apologize for using the word pimp and exploit in referring to the Smith children. It was insensitive of me and wrong."

Oddly enough, McMillan then took her back apology and went on a diatribe about Twitter culture and why people were so fixated on her words in the first place.

"So, I'm on blast? Too bad when I talk about what's happening in the government, the GOP, racism, love, etc., doesn't go viral."

"These are probably the same folks who live for reality TV and don't care about an SAT score. Or college."

"I think of followers as friends I'm letting into my living room. We differ in opinion but aren't rude. Others: I wouldn't let in my front yard"


To use a phrase that we might be more likely to hear in the hood, Terry McMillan needs to just sit down. Her words are way off the mark, and unless she understands the workings of the Smith household, she needs to be careful about insulting someone else's children in public. Her comments remind me of when Fox News host Glenn Beck attacked Malia Obama just a few months ago.

McMillan has no idea why the Smith children decided to pursue acting careers. I can't imagine Will and Jada having to "pimp" their kids to make ends meet. Will Smith is not Gary Coleman's father, so I hardly expect that he's living off of the money being earned by his kids or that he's somehow living vicariously through their fame.

Given that the Smiths have a son who doesn't do very much in the public eye, it is quite likely that they are allowing their children to decide what they want to do. Using the power of their platform, they are also opening windows of opportunity for their children, no differently from the Kennedy family, the Jacksons or anyone else who has paved a way for their kids. Personally, I would have loved to have had a father who could help me become a respected actor or singer at an early age; it would have been fun.

With regard to McMillan's comments about the children's arrogance, only time will tell. I too grow concerned with anyone who gets that much attention and power at such an early age. I hope the family is keeping the children grounded and not creating little monsters. Teaching your kids to have confidence and "Hollywood swag" is very different from allowing them to turn into jerks.

The bottom line is that Terry McMillan has no business publicly attacking another couple's children. Whatever issues she has with Will and Jada should stay among adults. Attacking the children in a family is a no-no, and Terry McMillan should be ashamed.

1 comment:

  1. Terry should stick to writing and leave other people's children out of her grind. She should be the last person to try and critique "behavior". Hey, look how long she was in denial about her love life. She received much support in her "crisis". If the Smith's children inspires to be actors and singers, so what?

    Terry is actng like she is the "kid" police.
    I happen to think it wonderful that the Smiths are supportive in their children's endeavors. Sounds like Terry is still reeling from "Winston" and it's sent her into a post tail spin. lol

    ReplyDelete