Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rapist In Your Neighborhood

I was watching Lifetime this morning at about 2:00 a.m.  Don't ask!  This movie was on about a rapist moving into this small community.  Evidently was a fairly old movie because at the end it stated that only 16 states required reporting of sex offenders moving in a neighborhood.  I think that number is a lot larger now.

Anyway, the rapist moves into the neighborhood his brother lives in.  The people in the town go crazy.  They have this town meeting demanding that he not be allowed to move there.  The brother stands up and reminds them that they all attend church together and that God calls for forgiveness.  Of course they didn't want to hear it and as soon as someone is raped they blame him.  He didn't do it.  They kill his dog.  And eventually he leaves the neighborhood.

I began to question myself.  How would I react if a rapist moved in my neighborhood (although there probably is one, I just don't know it).  Would my Christian Principals and Values step in?  Could I forgive and offer redemption?  Would I stereotype him?  Does it matter if he raped one person or 10.  How can I be a true Christian if I couldn't forgive or at least treat him normally?  Does it matter that sex offenders have a high recidivism rate?  Should it matter?  Am I a hypocrit if I expect forgiveness and second chances, but can't give them? 

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment