Monday, January 3, 2011

My Princess Boy

This morning while getting ready I was watching the Today Show as always and caught the segment about "My Princess Boy."  I was so amazed, awe struck and admiring of a woman who is accepting her son as he is.  He is four years old and likes to dress as a girl.  She stated that she was having difficulty with it until her older said "why can't you let him be happy."  Those words were so amazing and powerful to me!  Out of the mouths of babes.  Her son will probably grow up happy, healthy and most importantly knowing he is loved.  I remember reading E. Lynn Harris' memoirs and the amount of time he spent talking about how he worried if he his family and friends would still love him if he were gay.  That has to be a lonely and fearful existence.  Acceptance is a wonderful thing.  Could you accept this of your son?  Could I?  Honestly, I don't know.  I can say I hope I don't have too.  (What does that statement say about me?)  I know lots of gay people and love them dearly.  But do I want that for my son?  Does any parent?  Love and acceptance is the most important thing though no matter what.  Kudos to she, her family and her "Princess Boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment