Monday, August 15, 2011

Hoodrats....Oh So Cool in 2011

I have resisted the urge over the last couple of seasons to blog about the infamous Basketball Wives, most of whom are not wives.  However, after watching the reunion show I just cannot resist.

When I was growing up my grandmother constantly reminded us to be "ladylike."  In fact every now and then she will say "Tiffany, ladies don't talk like that."  I just smile and say "yes ma'am," because after all she is right.  Betty Wright told us we had to be a "lady in the street."  So what happened?  Did the ladies stop teaching their daughters to be ladies?  Why has it become the in thing to be loud and act like hoodrats?

I actually really like Tami.  She always seemed to be "real" and into making her own decisions irrespective of what it meant to be "in the circle."  However, for some reason she has let Meca Claxton bring out the worst in her.  She is now constantly screaming profanities and repeatedly threatening to beat her a$$ and actually following through with it.  I am extremely disappointed in her.  She is a mother and a mentor to young ladies.  Is that the image she wants to portray?  Don't get me wrong, I have hoodrat tendencies and when pushed I can be just as back alley ghetto as Evelyn.  However, ladies real ladies know when to hold em and when to fold em.  It is not necessary for every disagreement to result in throwing around the "b" word or physical altercations.  As mothers and as women we should be so much more than that.  We should not want the world to define us as that.  And most importantly we should not be proud of that.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way about Tami. She loves bring up the fact that she mentors young girls but I really think she forgets that when she is cursing and fighting on the show. What is she teaching these young ladies?

    ReplyDelete